The history of Marysville parallels the
discovery, development, and demise of the Drum Lummon
Mine. This rich mine, the remnants of which are still
visible on the mountainside south of Marysville, was
discovered by Irish immigrant, Tom Cruse, in 1876.
As Cruse's Drum Lummon was developed through
the 1880's and 1890's, Marysville grew first to about
1500 residents shortly after the discovery and then
to nearly 5000 residents just prior to the turn of the
During this era of prosperity, Marysville
enjoyed the services of three newspapers, many saloons,
three churches, general stores, livery and feed stores,
restaurants, and boarding houses. There was also an
opera house, a brewery and a tailor. At this time, the
residents were served by two railroads and a steam powered
electrical lighting system.
At the turn of the century mining activity
was decreasing and Marysville had passed its zenith.
When mining in the Drum Lummon finally terminated in
the 1950's most of the mining families left the area.
At that time, many of the houses were also moved, leaving
only a silent skeleton of this once bustling community.
Today Marysville remains as home to a
few old-timers, a bedroom community to Helena, and a
retirement home for others. Mining activity in the area
has ceased but skiing and outdoor recreating continue
to call people to Marysville.